View Single Post
Old 24 July 2017, 15:06   #148
EugeneNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
That's why in my thread I pointed what was not right with the Amiga from day one. When the Lorraine was developed mainly back in 1983, they were changing the world, by setting new standards, but the world didn't want to accept the new standards, especially the enterprise world, where adopting new standards is very slow, but yet not impossible, i.e the Amiga didn't choose the 8088/8086 processors, because they were weak at the time, even if compatible with older processors. The 68000 was magnitudes better for anything, but it was not backward compatible with previous generations of CPUs (not that were that many, but the CP/M standard was already there, hence the 68K CP/M).
Well established standards are hard to change, look at how long its taking to go from IPv4 to IPv6.

Yes they ported CP/M to the 68k but that was long after 8080 was the established 'standard' for CP/M. The OS might be fine but there was no third party CP/M 68k applications. Repeat history with Windows NT for Aplha, the OS ran and SQL server but practically no third party applications so it was a dud.

Page generated in 0.04043 seconds with 11 queries