View Single Post
Old 16 August 2018, 04:18   #57
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
Now is the perfect time to get into Eye of the Beholder as the Amiga versions now have the VGA graphics thanks to some enterprising modders
I wonder if they could use the same technique to make an AGA version of Legend of Kyrandia. I know it sounds strange because Kyrandia's a completely different genre, but it actually uses the same game engine as EoB 1+2! (This is why EoB 1+2 work in ScummVM)

Anyway figured I'd add my two cents to game suggestions here:

Crystal Dragon -- As mentioned, it's only two characters in your party, but the dungeon design is great and a lot of fun. Unfortunately it's possible to deadend your game in parts if you aren't careful with where you use keys vs. lockpicks (you can actually render a needed key inaccessible)

Evil's Doom -- By far the most story-driven of all the Amiga dungeon crawlers, with the most variety in places to go and things to do. Tons of interesting items to use, and trading/bargaining is a must. Can be made easier by exploiting the joke character Pentiumus early on to make a ton of money and get decent gear (dated Intel Pentium FDIV bug joke that nobody would get today). There are TONS of interesting potential party members with different backstories that you can recruit, although most people who know the game go with a minmaxed crew (especially the glass cannon sickly diseased mage girl who is the most powerful spellcaster in the game). The game never got a widespread release and the leaked versions were buggy, broken, and uncompletable, but the there are now bugfixed versions available online. The biggest complaints people have about this one are the 4th-wall-breaking writing and the mostly monochromatic dungeon graphics (dungeon artwork is 16 color, but everything else is 256 color).

Xenomorph -- My #1 favorite Amiga dungeon crawler. Great storyline but you have to read the novella from the manual to get the setting, and the rest of the story is told in text logs on disks you find in the game. Amazing atmosphere but no music and few SFX during gameplay. Game is completable but not all features were implemented in time for release (communicator, gas scanner are useless -- weapon balancing is a bit off and the .45 magnum you can find on the first level of the space station is OP). There seems to be a bug where laser weapons do more damage on faster CPUs. A ton of people can't figure out how to win because they didn't read the manual. (You have to replace all the burnt out chips in your computer with same-labeled chips salvaged from the base computer systems, but you break base systems when you pull certain chips e.g. doors stop working, you have to find a new copy of the O.S. and nav software, and you have to swipe antimatter from the station reactors to put in your ship's reactors.) Also a lot of people screwed their game up with going trigger happy with a particular enemy type that adapts to your weapons borg-style and saving while cornered by them. =P

Last edited by AmigaHope; 16 August 2018 at 04:27.

Page generated in 0.04272 seconds with 11 queries