View Single Post
Old 08 May 2019, 15:55   #8
robsoft

If you're wanting to get text onto the screen just as a means of helping you learn assembler, then it's easy to get text back out to the console from which you launched your program - you can do that in a handful of lines of code.

If you want to set-up a screen of your own choosing (resolution, palette etc) and *draw* text to it, that's a different matter.

I think you need to decide what you specifically want to do to begin with, break it down as much as possible and then review what individual things you're going to need to learn in order to do it. I'm partway through this process myself, I've got ANSI text in a console and simple bleeps out of Paula, my next steps are to take over the screen and draw some bitmap data.

The advice above about concentrating on either the 68k or the hardware is quite good I think - I thought I could treat it all as one but quickly realised that I wasn't really understanding the examples (mind you, I'm getting old so it's taking longer than it might have done a decade ago).
So I accepted there was no 'quick route', and started learning more about the basic 68k stuff, as opposed to the Amiga hardware. And now I have a very rudimentary grasp of basic 68k stuff, the hardware examples are making a bit more sense.

Just my experience with it, anyway.

Page generated in 0.13224 seconds with 11 queries