View Single Post
Old 28 August 2019, 18:05   #139
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Nobody said anything about faster processor or anything different than plain A1200. Why limit to only A500. Good example where developer did not port something to A500 - Aladdin. Try to imagine that game on A500.
The A1200 processor is clocked at 14 mhz . Yes, nobody said anything about faster processor, not even me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I have to admit that i don't quite understand why this obsession about doing remakes on Amiga 500, since the games in question where originally made for or from the Sharp X68000 or any other PC like machine with shitons of colors and minimum 2mb of ram ?

The more colors we have, the more we need RAM. The A500 is locked to 1mb. Only the A500+ and A600 can have 2mb of chip.

About Shinobi, i can tell you that even with the coin-op assets with all good colors that i have, it's out of question to have the game using less than 64 colors (and even there, a BIG rework is needed as there are too many unique colors used).

This game is also a perfect target for the 1200, running from hard drive, with 2mb of ram minimum.
First I don't even get why the obsession on porting games at all. I think the exercise to think about how to make it work is pretty interesting - but then it only make sense if you are talking about the old-school hardware. The more power you have, the easier is to do it, so there's not much "How would you face the task?" discussion. But actually doing them.... we can play those games using MAME, what's the point?

That said, kudos for people doing it, and I can clearly see how fun can be porting a game, trying to get everything right, etc etc. But I personally think the fun part is exactly to make it work on the hardware most people had back at the time. Any other than that, in MY MIND it makes no sense. Just port it for a PC then. Or better, stick with MAME. What's the point?

Now the claim "it cant be done with less than 64 colors" is ridiculous. I mean, Shinobi was ported to the CPC, C64, Spectrum, Atari ST, Amiga, Master System and NES, to say the least. None of those versions had 64 colors and not all of them look like shit.

But in the end, is all up to people who are doing it. You want to make a Shinobi port that requires a Vampire and 128mb Ram? Go for it. I don't see the point, but if someone wants to do it, all power to you. But claiming "It can't be done on an A500" is really plain ridiculous. You just have to know how to deal with it. It's not impossible and obviously the Amiga could handle a better version than what we've got. But if you want to go 2 MB Aga-only... you are the one doing it, so you can do whatever you want.

Page generated in 0.04297 seconds with 11 queries