View Single Post
Old 05 August 2017, 10:27   #85
sean_skroht
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The A1200's AGA will probably not even be used, especially if you want to use the HDMI out.

Basically your A1200 becomes an I/O unit, none of it is used except the ports. The CPU, the custom chips, all that is gone.
Yeah so? I don't know why it's so hard to understand that there are still those that enjoy the look and feel of the original Amiga package but still want the option to mess around with the hardware and add other stuff to see what it can do. It's part of the fun. It's not just about the software. I for one would lose some enjoyment if all my Amiga computer amounted to was a small Raspberry Pi sized circuit board in a generic small Raspberry Pi sized case. May as well get a Raspberry Pi.

Quote:
Vampire is NOT an Amiga accelerator. It's a LOT more. It's unfair to call it an accelerator, and in my opinion, it's silly to stick it to an old wedge to run.
But it can be used as just an accelerator. That's the way I have it set up in my A600. I'm still using the ECS chipset since that's the way I've chosen to use it for the time being. Some may say using a V600 in that fashion is a waste but I look at it this way, supplies of Motorola 68K chips for accelerator cards won't be around forever, so why not use an FPGA instead? Plus later on I still have the option to try the other features of the V600 if I want to.

If I were to choose to get the standalone Vampire I'd still want to whack it in a new A1200 case and add all the appropriate adapters for the Amiga "look and feel" experience. That's what Amiga means to me. Not everyone wants to do that and that's fine. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that's the beauty of the Vampire project, it can appeal to a broad spectrum of Amiga fans. As it stands though, I'm not interested in the standalone as I'd prefer one in my exiting Amiga. Looking forward to the V1200.

Quote:
you really want the feeling of Amiga, you should stomach the slow speeds and do things available in 1990, not 2017
Screw that!

Last edited by sean_skroht; 05 August 2017 at 15:25.

Page generated in 0.05438 seconds with 10 queries