View Single Post
Old 30 November 2013, 23:25   #19
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I keep reading this, but is it really true? Isn't it just the samples that are used? When I play CD quality WAVs in 44khz 14bit on my A1200 (with calibration, without AHI), it sounds almost as good as on the peecee, and there certainly isn't any audible grittiness.
8 bits range is 256 ( 0 - 255 ) audio levels. At 5 volts this is steps of ~ 0.02

14 bits range is 16384 ( 0 - 16383 ) audio levels. At 5 volts this is steps of ~ 0.00030

For a better comparison save two jpeg images from the same original file only do one at high grade and one at low grade and you will see the difference, audio is no different to pictures in this respect.

Nyquist's fundamental law is that to sample a frequency you need to double the speed of the frequency of the sound you are trying to sample and that's why CD does 44.1 KHz ( 22.05 KHz max frequency to sample ) which is of course enough for our hearable audio spectrum but refer back to my comment about LP Vs CD where LP and the system you are using, can go as high as 100 KHz.

Also regarding Amiga samples, it depends on the output frequency that the sound is being played at and the speed that the original sample was recorded at, if both are almost divisible by one another you will have very little aliasing at all but if they are tremendously different then you will hear much aliasing. String sounds are the best for hearing of horrible aliasing because the original sounds usually use phasing between two oscillators to achieve a richer sound ( slight pitch phasing ).

Page generated in 0.04173 seconds with 11 queries