View Single Post
Old 12 October 2020, 23:28   #1
hexaae
Bug hunter

Hooooo WinUAE unstable framerate since 3.4.0b1

Ok... today I got bored after 1 hour trying to adjust WinUAE CPU/Chipset settings to fix random micro-lags when scrolling in WHD games like Beast, Fantastic Dizzy AGA, Risky Woods... and so I started to test ALL previous WinUAE images 'till I've found something weird happened in-between 3.3.0 and 3.4.0b1 that made the fps counter (Miscellaneous > Native on-screen display) unstable: after 3.4.0b1 (included) up to current 4.5.0betas I've noticed fps can sometimes oscillate between 48-51 fps, while up to 3.3.0 it was rock solid 50fps ALL THE TIME and I couldn't spot a single micro-lag, never.

The games run in the same identical settings, with JIT off, D3D (or DX9-11 with modern WinUAE).

I can make a HDF for testing if you need Toni. If you'll just run this HDF with WinUAE 3.3.0 or 3.4.0b1+ you should see the subtle difference: micro-lags and fps fluctuation.
I'd really like to understand what happened with 3.4.0b1, because I love modern WinUAE improvements, but for sure (up to) WinUAE 3.3.0 still runs better (= constantly silky smoothly) for side/verical-scrolling games

I use a g-sync screen. Cfg used for tests in signature. Didn't change trying with 020, just for example... must be something with screen refresh/framerate buffering or something like that.

P.S.
3.4.0 beta thread has been deleted? I can't find it.

Last edited by hexaae; 13 October 2020 at 00:57.

Page generated in 0.04242 seconds with 11 queries