View Single Post
Old 03 May 2019, 03:34   #114
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Some of the graphics on that ZX video are pretty amazing, but they're a far cry from what the C64 is capable of. I'm guessing you haven't seen many C64 demos?

The Spectrums colour was horrid (Saying this as a FAN or the British Spectrum)
Ironic, given it's name.

Most of my freinds who lived near me had spectrums, so for games swapping, it made sense.

My school mates had C64's and on visits to thier houses on the other side of town, I was VERY impressed with the graphics.

But let's not forget, these were times unlike today where you just go

and we by a Nintendo Switch, and an Xbone, and a PS4 because we can.

Back then you sat in the camp you were in, and threw rocks at the other side.

It was too expensive to do anything else.

Going back to the SPectrum though, it wasn't just it's lack of colours, it was the colour CLASH that was the issue.

I wrote a drawing program for my +3, and it was then that I finally understood the problem.

If i drew a line in, say, RED....and then close too it, I drew another line, in say BLUE.....the RED line would become BLUE.

They didn't even have to be touching. I'd guess maybe 5 or more pixels would be the "bleed". It was crazy.

Toward the end of the spectrums glory days, some developers started to master it but it was all too late.

Savage by....Firebird? is one that stuck in my memory as FINALLY making a Spectrum game that looked colourful, and cleverly worked with the bleed to hide it as best they could.

Page generated in 0.43292 seconds with 11 queries