View Single Post
Old 19 May 2017, 21:19   #9
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I've been looking for development tools for quite some time, as I wanted to support as many people as possible by making the first steps in development as easy as possible. While I've found a few Pascal dialects, pretty much everyone convinced me that C is the way to go. I've tried to free the SAS/C compiler for the Amiga, but did not get the required answers.
C has been the default language of the Amiga. It was the efficiency of C which allowed the AmigaOS to become as good as it was back in the day. SAS/C's professional support of the Amiga was important as well. Vbcc has the potential to become the next SAS/C for the Amiga and your kind support could help make it happen. I am impressed at your recognition of the importance of improving Amiga compilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
One of my employees confirmed that vbcc produces very good code quality, and Volker was so kind to accept my offer for a sponsorship of the m68k-AmigaOS port.

Please don't get me wrong on the priorities: The only reason why I've tried to free SAS/C in the first place was that I wasn't aware of the high code quality that vbcc produces. So for any new project - commercial or not - vbcc is the way to go now.
I wouldn't say the vbcc code generation quality is that great yet but sponsoring it and making it a priority should help the situation. SAS/C code generation was average and I think vbcc has the potential to do much better if Dr. Volker Barthelmann is encouraged to give a little TLC to the 68k backend .

Page generated in 0.15107 seconds with 11 queries