View Single Post
Old 23 March 2018, 18:39   #59
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Just don't put photos out there or say anything in public that you don't want to be seen or heard in public, and enjoy the free stuff. It's very simple.
I understand your point, but FB allows "privacy" to be set to so people can share what they want with who they want so it's not really "public domain".
Regardless of what "privacy" you choose for your stuff, it's still harvested for metadata and sold. You only control what others at the same level as you can see.

If Facebook is the "house" where I only let my friends in (because my profile is "friends only"), there's still this shadow lurking in it, looking at it, analyzing things out to make a profile of me, taking what they need, selling it, or trying to change my mind about cultural issues, and also doing the same to the people that hang out in my "house". Remember that Facebook itself goes on and on to their users about how they "value your privacy" and let you "share what you want with who you want". They are not like "yeah whatever you post here, watch out, we gonna sell it!". Many people don't know better, and this is how the house analogy is valid, even if you or I would never consider it that way.

Read this interview with the main tech guy responsible for the Cambridge Analytica thing, if this guy doesn't make you feel uneasy about this whole thing, I dunno.

Page generated in 0.04403 seconds with 11 queries