View Single Post
Old 23 March 2018, 17:56   #58
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It's like whenever online privacy conversation pops up, for example about VPNs, and a lot people are like "I don't care if anyone watches, I have nothing to hide". That attitude is to me impossible to understand, it's totally not about having something to hide, it's about people nosing around your stuff and using it against you and to make profits of which you receive zero.
And that's all fair enough too, provided people are aware of it (and in general they are - they just don't care). The sheer scale of the services I can get these days without costing me any money is incredible. I'm perfectly happy to pay for those services with information that I'm happy to have made public. And that's the way I see the likes of Facebook, Google and the various other similar services. I get a nice, simple way of keeping in touch with friends, family and acquaintances, I get many, many gigabytes of online storage, the most impressive spam filtering I know of, shared "cloud" drives and applications... all without costing me a single penny. Of course such services aren't free to provide, so they have to make their money somewhere. So I'm happy to pay for all this convenience in information that isn't worth anything to me anyway. If I could pay my electricity bill with empty juice cartons, I'd do that too, but alas...

Just think of the old adage, something along the lines of "if you're not paying for something, you're not the customer, you're the product being sold..."

Quote:
Imagine someone going into your house without your permission, going through your stuff, taking your photo albums of your kids, sell some off to make money off it, and being fine with that.
But it's not like that. It's the internet, not your own computer. It's closer to you putting your photos on display out in the street for everyone to see in return for some free stuff. Just don't put photos out there or say anything in public that you don't want to be seen or heard in public, and enjoy the free stuff. It's very simple.

Why some people think that an account set up in your name on someone else's computer should be as private as inside your own home I have no idea.

Page generated in 0.07808 seconds with 11 queries