View Single Post
Old 07 June 2020, 00:42   #171
lmimmfn

Beware, a big rant
I had a CPC 464, i loved some of its games( Op Wolf, Chase HQ, Gauntlet etc. ) and hated the speccy ports.
I was a regular C&VG reader and always looked in awe at the Amiga graphics, i wanted it so much but it was extremely expensive.
I was also interested in paint programs, the CPC was quite good at that but the Amiga was on another level and i started buying non gaming computer magazines and just being stunned by what was possible on the Amiga.

So i started saving for an Amiga in early 90, i was so tempted to get and ST with all those games( the ads with IK ) but kept going until i got the money for an Amiga.
Incredibly I never actually saw and Amiga in real life before i got one even though i would have loved to see one.
I had a tonne of games for the CPC and sold for for 60% of the cost of the Amiga, and bought my A500 in October, Screen Gems pack, i actually wanted Flights of Fantasy, but luckily Deluxe Paint 2 was still included. It was only a 512 A500 and didn't have any expansion that's supposed to come with the Screen Gems pack( from reading online ).

My parents said i had to save it for Christmas time, sigh, but i used to sneak it out a few times a week to game on it for 30 mins when no-one was around. Shadow of the beast 2 looked and sounded amazing but sucked gameplay wise, the rest of the games were absolutely awful( spent a lot of time trying to find some depth in Days Of Thunder lol ).

I found out the baker that was supplying our school had an Amiga and I'd ask him when he was delivering for some games and excitedly wait for him to bring them then next day( which in fairness he mostly did, was a very nice chap ), cant remember all the games he gave me but before Christmas and officially getting my A500 he gave me Turrican, wow, i can remember to this day just being in awe at the gfx, sound and gameplay and having only 30 mins sessions of it, that is the game that made me realise how truly amazing the Amiga is.

Christmas day came and i had gathered so many 'dodgy' games( Turrican, Rick Dangerous, Switch blade and a few others ) that made up for the crap ones in the Screen Gems pack( SotB2 was a great showcase though ) that i just gamed on the Amiga non stop over the holidays.
Deluxe Paint 2 was sublime, wow, i was stunned at how good that was compared to anything possible on the 8 bits.

I got Deluxe Paint 3 at some stage, cant remember, it was a legit copy with manual etc. so i had to upgrade my A500 for it so got a 2Mb expansion for it in '91.
Also ended up acquiring( non intentionally for free but had to do some work on it ) an A2000 in '91 with 286 bridgeboard, 10MB harddrive and wonderful multisync monitor( which like an idiot i dumped ~6 years ago due to the size of it, grrr ). Also my brother dumped the A2000 when i was at uni in the late '90s,

Sadly i sold my A500 in the summer of '92 and picked up an A1200, which i have to this day and love it. I still miss my old A500 though, and have always loved Amiga's since that A500.

Page generated in 0.04290 seconds with 11 queries