View Single Post
Old 20 April 2010, 15:23   #22
Mathias

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
My comments were not just aimed at Atari Coldfire Project. They were also aimed at the NatAmi project which has consistently failed to delivery anything while promising everything. A little bit of spent up anger let out at once
OK, I see. To me it seems now you are not really not liking us, you just cannot imagine that we will finish it.

Quote:
Realistically thought, you're are not going to be able to make an Atari Falcon clone using an existing Coldfire processor and get it to run binary 68k code anywhere near as fast as an 060 based CT63 or Milan because of the incompatibilities?
That is just your analysis! And it is wrong. Already before we starteed, we had a proof of concept, that showed execution of 68k applications inside a native ColdFire system is possible. What do you expect about an computer with 133MHz systembus, DDR2 Ram etc. running under full speed while only some native 68k instructions of some applications have to be trapped? And we are not talking about our recent developments here!

Quote:
  • You're using a Coldfire CPU to replace a 680x0 CPU.
Yes of course. That´s our aim. As the fastest availaible 68060s are running at 105 MHz with some overclocking. Thus it´s named Atari COLDFIRE Project

Quote:
[*]You're using an FPGA of potentially fixed size and speed grade to incorporate a HDL design who's size and complexity is as yet unknown.[/list]
Maybe you are not aware about it. Our FPGA design is mainly based on Wolfgangs Suska. He worked with Carol for more than 6 years now at the mapping of all Atari chips. The Suska is availaible for over one year now. I got one at home and it´s woking very good. So nothing is unknown! And we chosed the huge and very expansive (120,- Euro) FPGA to have enough headroom for future improvements.

Last edited by Mathias; 20 April 2010 at 15:37.

Page generated in 0.04467 seconds with 11 queries