View Single Post
Old 10 June 2019, 13:49   #27
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos View Post
I don’t get why you feel the need to run real hardware to do this.

I do think that learning C on the Amiga is a good idea, and maybe a bit of assembly to really cement how things really work, but setting up WinUAE and VBCC with a good editor that understands your code will be so much more efficient for a tonne of reasons.
I'm not against emulators at all, WinUAE is great, it's how most people these days get their Amiga fix. Still, that doesn't prevent you from actually developing within the Amiga emulation session as opposed to cross compile from windoze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
@modrobert

That's made me jazzed to attempt such madness. What editor would you recommend?
For programming C I use the SAS/C included 'se' editor (hint; my previous post had a links you can click), it has everything you need pretty much including impressive debugger, well, until your wild horse (the Amiga, free as in "freedom") gives you the "guru", it's part of the experience. On the upside you can actually edit the RAM in real time, no boundaries, no memory protection or ASLR ruining your fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Thank you everyone for great input. I really don't know how things work yet so don't think my ideas are good ideas. They are only inquires based on how i think things work which could be completely wrong on my part lol.
You are welcome. If you go the Amiga route there is no turning back, you will be a professional where your future code just oozes quality, it's inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
modrobert this PC hate is sooo 1990s... Use the most adapted tools at your disposal on whatever platform to work fast and reach your goal (and test on real hardware to check if performance is all right). That's the idea.
Excuse me? This is the English Amiga Board, not some yammer (or worse, FB) group discussing PC and bloated M$ products.

I like the whole experience; fixing with Amiga hardware, programming with constraints which adds to the challenge. It's not about doing things effectively, that's sounds like "work" to me. No, the Amiga is about doing things in style and having fun. Why does it feel so good whenever you do something on the Amiga, or have a project related to it? I'll leave you with that thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
I can recommend Cubic IDE on the Amiga. The editor felt surprisingly modern to me compared with other Amiga stuff, and is quite configurable. I was able to change the keycap to match the Mac editors I'm used to which helped immeasurably.

Compiling and running with SAS/C is pretty convenient, the only bugbear being that if your code is crashing, you have to reboot and reopen the IDE. I didn't code on a real Amiga, but UAE which meant I could keep my source code on a shared folder and manage it with Git.

I'm not saying that this is *best* solution, but for me, coding on AmigaOS itself was part of the experience and I was willing to accept the compromises. I was surprised how good it was to be honest.

I'm trying to pick the project up again and I'm going to try bebbo's cross-compiler for comparison. Ultimately, it's your hobby, no-one else's, so don't feel like any choice is 'wrong'.
Helpful, and thanks for the pointers. I kind of like 'se', the native SAS/C editor when programming, but can also add JanoEditor to the mix.

Page generated in 0.04510 seconds with 11 queries