View Single Post
Old 07 September 2013, 13:41   #4
thomas

I have to disagree. I don't see such a big difference between both DOS implementations. Both use the first word of a command line as program name which is loaded and executed and the rest of the line is given to the program as argument string.

The most notable differences from my point of view are

- the current directory in AmigaDOS is global and includes the drive name while on PC-DOS every drive has its own current directory. The latter is very confusing if you come from a Unix world.

- AmigaDOS uses complete names where PC-DOS uses single letters. For example for drives. And for options. AmigaDOS uses ALL where PC-DOS uses /E and CLONE where PC-DOS uses /K.

- the script language is a bit more powerful in PC-DOS.

I agree that a built-in help is almost non-existent in AmigaDOS. If you enter command /? in PC-DOS you get a detailed explanation of each option while on AmigaDOS if you enter command ? you only get a syntax diagram with the names of the options. But IMHO because the options are complete names it is easier to remember their meaning and a more detailed description is not needed in most cases.

Page generated in 0.06470 seconds with 11 queries