View Single Post
Old 10 February 2020, 08:20   #9
ajk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Also what would be the easiest way to take out the chip? I know they sell tools for that sort of thing.
The first DIP extractor tool you will find is probably something like this:

However I would advise AGAINST using these with a Denise or other large chip. They don't open wide enough and chips with 48 pins require a lot of force to extract, so most likely the tool will slip. Even if the chip does come out it will probably happen suddenly, in an uncontrolled fashion and pins may be bent.

What I have found to work best is a simple lever of some sort. The flat screwdriver on a swiss army knife like this works great:

This is better than most regular screwdrivers since all the edges are smooth, so you won't easily scratch the chip or socket. Remove the chip by inserting the tool between the chip and socket at one end, lever a bit, switch to the other end and repeat. You want the chip to come straight up, not peel it off the socket at an angle.

There are also bespoke DIP extractor tools for this purpose, however I don't know if any are large enough to handle the 48 pin chips (most I've seen can only handle up to 40 pins).

Page generated in 0.07324 seconds with 11 queries