View Single Post
Old 01 August 2015, 17:57   #160
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I'm going to say it again, there is more than one way to skin a memory protection. It doesn't have to involve page remapping. Really that is done for various other reasons such as virtual memory support, avoid memory fragmentation problems &c.
Oh i could have several options as well : flat with no protection, flat with protection, paged. Why not ?

It's much like the option to run under linux or uclinux (or something else) on the same machine.

Quote:
Works for you, fine. But if you were designing a new machine, it would be quite crazy to design it specifically for unpopularity. Which is not the same as designing for a niche market, we don't know if that niche is going to become popular at some point in the future.
Well, do you really think that a configuration option to turn off memory protection (obviously on by default) would make the platform unpopular ?

Quote:
I think it is possible to serve everyone's needs here. I outlined a way in which it might be possible for hardcore users to run programs in kernel space if they wanted to, but you didn't like it for some reason.
I didn't like it because it was too complicated.
I prefer to be able to run programs in the same way for both options ; they don't know if they run in protected mode or not and they don't have to.

Frankly the argue that's made here because of that simple option is a little bit overkill...
I bet that if i did the system this way, nobody here using it would even notice the option is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Fantastic, we have now found the single person on earth that never makes a mistake and never has bugs in his code.
You exaggerate

Quote:
Good for you, but I want _my_ OS to protect me from myself.
Assuredly. You're dangerous. You need a straitjacket

But don't worry. The memory protection option will be active by default. So you will not harm yourself.

Quote:
Humour me this:
-a programmed and intentional write to $100
-a bug ending up writing to $100
how does the OS know the difference?
It doesn't have to. It's none of its business.

Quote:
How will that help me? I don't want null pointers to crash the entire system in the released version, either.
Perhaps you have to test and debug your code before you make a release

Page generated in 0.07131 seconds with 11 queries