View Single Post
Old 10 August 2012, 05:36   #10
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
My PC at work is around year 2000, still in daily use. It's one of those socket A ones too. For some reason a lot were built with terrible caps.

My main PC is still a socket A. Though it's like one of those old warships thats had every scrap of timber replaced over the years. The way it is now, it would have been a monster back about 2003, haha, still fine for almost everything. I don't do serious programming or heavy video/image processing or play the latest games so I simply don't need the horespower. Once in a blue moon I want to use someting that requires SSE2 but that's it.

Paying £500 for an A600HD months before the A1200 came out was an early lesson in moores law for me, I am innoculated against early adoption and quite happy with old cheap hardware.

I'm still amazed that any microelectonics works at all. I mean these hairless apes, just a slice cleverer than me, can arrange matter just so, it's really incredible. But they are just like any other machine in this way, they will reveal their weak spots after time or neglect. The amiga chips might last centuries for all I know but the caps only a couple of decades.

Page generated in 0.04651 seconds with 11 queries