View Single Post
Old 07 June 2016, 22:46   #22
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I suspect these are classes that require Reaction, and hence only work with OS3.9/68020+.
The foundation is good but it appears they have failed to secure the property on which they build and so the new construction is not secured to the foundation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
(and for what it is worth... I don't think they look so good, with no spacing between buttons and window border)
Perhaps the spacing can be set. If not, it should be possible to add it although it would be good if defaults were consistent with the look of the Amiga. The Amiga Style Guide is old and did not go into such detail. Not everyone will agree on what looks best either. It looks fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Yes these classes are reliant on other classes which are ClassAct compatible. We are in the process of creating a brand new set of classes now. Currently working on tickbox.gadget to replace checkbox.gadget and that is almost completed on OS3.
Sigh. Please do *not* create a new gadget with a different name unless the old gadget was seriously flawed by design. It would be much better to recreate a compatible clone of the old gadget and then enhance it from there. Also, AmigaOS 4 has an enhanced version of checkbox.gadget. I fail to see how creating a new gadget which is incompatible with AmigaOS 3 *and* AmigaOS 4 will be an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
This class is using the H&P window.class from OS3.9 so we do not have access to the source code for that. We will be looking into other solutions.
An updated window.class is in AmigaOS 4 so A-EON's partner Hyperion also has the source for this class. I feel like we keep reinventing the wheel and using an inferior and incompatible one at that. I understand that there may be legal hurdles but this effort looks feeble to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
i doubt that providing proprietary paid for replacement for basic gui elements by yet another company does really cut it from a user perspective.
I agree. A GUI needs to be standard and consistent but I fail to see how this goal is accomplished. It looks like we will now have AmigaOS 4 Reaction, AmigaOS 3.x + ClassACT, AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 Reaction and now AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 Reaction + A-EON Reaction. This is hell for programmers. If they want to proliferate Reaction, they should have one common code base for all which is in sync with features and versions. Judging from the statements here, A-EON may have bailed Hyperion out of bankruptcy without securing control. This is sad as it likely means they are really sympathetic to the 68k Amiga and are trying to reunite the Amiga but they aren't the smartest business types. The executives at Hyperion are very stubborn, anti-68k and unscrupulous. I'm afraid A-EON is not the white knight for the Amiga and Hyperion will keep driving nails in the Amiga coffin .

Page generated in 0.04646 seconds with 11 queries