View Single Post
Old 04 December 2017, 02:47   #108
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
If the resource file can't be read your disk is broken! This file doesn't have anything to do with the protection and copying files to HD works. If the disk is not stuffed that is!
You are right, I shortened too much my description. In fact only one file cannot be copied. It is named " " (8 spaces) with a size of 297 bytes.
When trying to copy it manually, a requester appears : "Volume KQ1 has read/write error".
With this 'missing' file on HD (I suppose as I do not know the Herndon HLS protection), when launching the game, another requester is displayed : "Please insert volume KQ1 in any drive".
If the KQ1 disk is inserted, loading continue. Disk can be removed for playing (did not play a lot but actually seems to work).

I found 5 different version of "King's Quest I". None of them had the "resource.vol" file. Even the version which contain in the name "[cr Power Lords]" is not cracked (still asking for the KQ1 disk when launching the game ).

I bought many many games back in the Amiga time and made my mind : disk copy-protection su@#s!! (sorry for being impolite ). I do believe that manual-based copy-protection are the only one that are OK (colour codes, word x, page y, etc.). But this only my personal opinion .

I still need to test JST + slave (will have time this week) but would it be a hard task for somebody knowing the Herndon HLS protection to remove it? (patch the Sierra file? another file? I have seen on the WHDLoad slave readme that it has been removed.)

Page generated in 0.04317 seconds with 11 queries