Thread: Joystick irony
View Single Post
Old 04 March 2019, 11:06   #14
roondar

I'd say the need for a digital joystick depends on the game you're trying to play. If it's a retro game expecting digital inputs and the game expects you to hit diagonals repeatedly, quickly and accurately, an 8-directions based digital joystick will likely give you the most enjoyment.

For most other games requiring digital inputs a controller can work just as well, though it might not 'feel' right if this is a game you used to play using a joystick. I'm not 100% sure controllers are fundamentally better in this case though, I think it has more to do with preference and what you're used to.

Now, for games incorporating analogue elements, I'd say the modern controllers are a very fair compromise. I use the PS4 controller with remarkable ease, considering how many buttons it has and just how small the analogue sticks are.

But to the OP I say: I know the feeling, I had been looking for a good digital joystick for emulation for a while now. I bought a competition pro anniversary edition (USB) yesterday and it's supposed to be quite good - so I guess I'll find out if that is true

Page generated in 0.04507 seconds with 11 queries