View Single Post
Old 04 November 2020, 21:40   #81
AC/DC HACKER!

I appreciate your attempt help get on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Sorry, I may be stupid, but I do not understand. P-IV does have a scandoubler, and it is active whenever a native mode is shown. It takes its input, coming from the native Amiga output, and provides a (rescaned, digitized) version of it at the output of the P-IV. This is the pass-through.

I don't consider you stupid at all or anyone else that matter. That's an extremely insulting statement that people make. Everyone can learn.

I know it has a Scandoubler, I've been using it for over 30 years. I realize some connections are being made so I'll expand even further. I thought that commenting about the Picasso 4 monitor and the CVisionPPC monitor being used together or not was enough to get the message across. Seems not. So I'll explain my setup further.

The Picasso 4 is connected to my HDTV via a VGA+Audio-to-HDMI connector. So Audio of Picasso 4 is connecting to VGA-to-HDMI connector. Functions very well that way. Display of Amiga video and Picasso 640x480 or high screens do great.

My CVisionPPC is connected to another, order monitor.

Quote:
You can select via a tool type of the monitor driver whether a particular board has a monitor switch and is in the display chain. I forgot the name of the tool type, but it is in the guide/manual.

You mean SwitchType=JAV0SOFT or "JAVOSOFT" doesn't seem to do anything. I also tried using SwitchType=PicassoIV but that didn't help. CVisionPPC's screen just goes blank and then I hear garbled sounds form whatever WHDLoad game.

Quote:
If you want a mode-promotion utility to render native screens instead on the P-IV without the "scan doubler" (as said, this is not really a scan doubler, but it serves its purpose), there are plenty on Aminet.

Noo....I don't want to use ModePro for any other Mode Promotion program. That was my point. I would rather Not use any of those. I have used ModePro in the past and it's great, I know how to use it. But I have it disabled because don't want to.

Quote:
P-IV does not have a "pass-through" in the classical sense (i.e. it does not have a switch that would simply bypass the signal from the VGA-in to the VGA-out), it has a frame grabber and digitizer sitting at the input. I'm not sure whether that answers the question. Whether WHDLoad uses that correctly I doubt. There is no direct interface for that. To activate the "bypass", you simply need to open a native screen via the operating system.
I understand it doesn't have a Hardware Switch that you flip on the board. Which is why I commented about CGX4 have software switches in ToolTypes and ENVARC:/ENV: that may be set. Shall I show you pictures?

Quote:
I'm not clear what you are observing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the P-IV screen grabber only takes 15Khz input as it needs to know the frequency of the incoming signal. It is probably not able to digitize any 31kHz mode, but I may be wrong. The simplest solution would be to have the P-IV input directly connected to the native chipset output, and route the output of the P-IV.

15Khz or 31Khz has functioned very well here with Picasso96 2.0 and the newer versions. Before CVisionPPC driver was added. That's why I typed that if I don't have the CVisionPPC monitor IN monitors and ONLY the PicassoIV monitor in monitors then the PicassoIV board displays Amiga Native modes as it should. I'm not sure how much clearer I may be but I will keep attempting if confusion still exists.

Quote:
The CVisionPPC does not have a monitor pass-through at all.

I understand that completely. What the CVisionPPC will do...before the monitor is loaded and initialized is display a 640x480 native Amiga screen. So will the PicassoIV...before the monitor driver is loaded. I could share screen shots if that's helpful.

Quote:
You need an external switch for it. There is a tool type to enable one, but I do not know the brand and where you could get it.

That's a clue I didn't understand before. So, as I typed above, I tried "PicassoIV" to see if it would force native screens to go to the monitor, but that didn't see to work. So, I don't know what "brand" I'm looking for. Device ID? As in what "WhichAmiga" shows for the board? I'll try that.

Quote:
If you need a CVIsionPPC and a P-IV in the same system at once, the only option is to have two monitors. Note, however, that such a setup would *not* be able to show native screens. The CVisionPPC driver *has* to promote all native modes to the CVisionPPC, unfortunately. This is simply because the firmware of the card already installs patches into the operating system, and the original entry points into the ROM required to create a native chipset screen are already lost at the time P96 jumps in.

Then I guess my description above that paragraph will be a surprise to you. I don't "need" the CVisionPPC and Picasso 4 boards installed at the same time but I am not going to disconnect and reconnect often to use one or the other. I can see that for now "disabling" CVisionPPC from monitors is what is working. So the physical boards stay attached. They function very well with GFX4 as I'm hoping P96 will do some time.

Tecnically, this is not a patch of a library entry point, but it is the "VecTable" in the display info data base for all native screen modes that are patched over by the CVisionPPC. Unfortunately, P96 cannot know where these entries should go into the ROM, the ROM vectors for them are not available anywhere, and thus, any attempt to create a native display on the CVisionPPC will fail. P5 called that a "software scandoubler", but it is actually a ROM-based mode promotion.[/QUOTE]

I'm not attempting to create a native display for the CVisionPPC with the CVisionPPC Monitor loaded, not at all. I'm attempt to get WHDLoad Screens to show on PicassoIV board when the PicassoIV monitor is also loaded and running with CVisionPPC monitor loaded and running. Currently CGX4 does this, P96 does not...not that I have...found, yet.

I hope this clarifies better.

Page generated in 0.04371 seconds with 11 queries