View Single Post
Old 22 May 2020, 22:02   #13
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I like your handle. So, since there are drives for it.. I don't know much about Banshee, I'll look into it.

"The minimum hardware configuration is: an Amiga with a Voodoo Banshee graphic card installed in the Mediator PCI busboard. The minimum turbo card is 68030 with 8MB RAM."

Thanks for the compliment, but if I were you I don't know if I would bother. The Voodoo 2 is an overlay card that only renders 3D to a framebuffer that is then genlocked to whatever VGA card you have installed. This is what PCEm currently supports.

The Banshee is a more complex card that implements a VGA chipset *with* the Voodoo 2 chipset in one device. PCEm does not currently emulate this. To make this work you'd have to reverse engineer whatever VGA implementation 3DFX included on the card and present it in the same way.

There are Amiga drivers for the Banshee, but not the *discrete* Voodoo 2. i.e. it expects to write to the Banshee's VGA device.

EDIT: I'm using "chipset" loosely here as the whole shebang is on one piece of silicon in the Banshee. The Banshee's 3D section is actually a cut down Voodoo 2 as it has only one texture processor instead of two. Getting PCEm's Voodoo 2 3D subsystem to play nice with the Amiga drivers would probably be fairly trivial, but getting the rest of the 2D stuff working is another matter.

Last edited by AmigaHope; 22 May 2020 at 22:32.

Page generated in 0.04356 seconds with 11 queries