View Single Post
Old 12 June 2019, 11:45   #129
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It's actually way more complicated. There have been a bunch of different rulings by different judges in different countries. Amongst which something like five or ten in the US alone, including the Fortnite one. That one is interesting because the judge let go ahead even when petitioned to dismiss it. This is a sign the case wasn't clear cut and dried. All of these cases came to different conclusions. Plus, copyright in one country isn't copyright in the other - even if it were to be fully legal in the US that says precisely zero about how legal it is in say, the EU.

The legal situation is surprisingly murky. As things to do with copyright often are.

Note: this is not me saying it's definitely illegal or that I personally feel trainers are 'wrong'. I don't have any problems with them myself and think they should be allowed just fine. Though I do really frown on people using them in multi player games. Single player games are completely fine.

My point is merely that showing the result of a single court case is usually insufficient to know if something (outside of criminal cases, where it's usually simpler than these civil cases) is allowed or not.

On a side note: I feel this whole discussion about the legal aspects is bordering on absurd. Everyone knows no court cases will be held about this game and talking about it like that doesn't do anyone any favours.

Page generated in 0.05279 seconds with 11 queries