View Single Post
Old 05 May 2020, 19:53   #38
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
The downside of having more lines and slower refreshrate only came to light when consoles came to town esp 16-bits around 91/92, and foreign imports started to flood the market, mags were the only source of news and they were soon to tell us these machines ran games faster.
Yeah, the speed factor was another punch in the gut, though it did not bother me as much because I was mostly into slow games, like RPGS, adventure, strategy. Truth to be told it didn't even bother me as much later on when I got the PSX, because of the early 3D wow factor (and the fact there weren't countless utubers around to rub it in

As for Euro vs USA TV malarkey, I guess both had their ups and downs, one big point for Euro was the widespread SCART/RGB adapatation while they had to put up with composite or the much rarer component. Still, the NTSC/PAL BS is a true bane of retrogaming for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
There is about a 20% difference in vertical size, so I get what you mean. It never really bothered me to be honest. But then again, I came from a PAL C64, which has pretty huge borders as well.
Yeah, but like I said above, I'm similar - the small size does not bother me, the aspect ratio shizzmajagig does. As in, if there was a game coded with that screen size in mind, with correct proportions and all then its' fine. I had a look at Beneath The Steel Sky yesterday and the fans in the first scene seem perfectly circular. Maybe it's one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
It's kind of like how the consoles also could display a full screen for PAL games and almost never did. It's annoying, but I do understand the reasons.
Well, I can understand some of the reasons but it's quite likely other reasons, in some other cases, are not so forgivable.

It's all water under the bridge now, done and dusted and I guess I should move from the grief to acceptance stage or better yet to a figure-out-what-now one.

The reason why it hit me so hard is beccause for years I did preach Amiga as the best platform for the 1986-1991 era, at least when it comes to my favourite aforementioned genres. And assembling my retro battlestation now I fully expected her to take central stage...seems this plan took quite a knock. For all my hardware sentiments (ZX, Amiga <3), I follow the best version of a game and all of a sudden a DOS PC seems to be a place to be. And I don't really dig the VGA pixel blockiness.

Are there any modern hardware solutions which could alleviate this problem? (I'm a CRT user so it's an extra hassle) What is a scan doubler? Can it double my scanlines and fill the screen or something?

Otherwise Amiberry on RPi, or PC with crtemudriver could be a solution of sorts (you can scale the display to CRT quite nicely) but it's not the original hardware :/

Last edited by dreadnought; 05 May 2020 at 20:49.

Page generated in 0.08535 seconds with 11 queries