View Single Post
Old 26 November 2019, 05:48   #19
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Not if it is located in the middle of a longword. Actually, out of 4 possible alignment cases, only one will require two accesses.
Still less efficient than being word-aligned. And a longword will be misaligned in 3 out of 4 cases.

Quote:
And as the exact same code has to handle both cases (it can't know if the data is currently aligned or not), it is a lot faster than having to realign before making the memory access.
Sounds like a fairly specific application. Why can't the alignment be set in advance?

Quote:
Sure i don't micromanage all single bytes. But would you really accept to waste kilobytes to padding ?
I don't care about a few kilobytes. Modern programs 'waste' hundreds of kilobytes without even thinking about it. But if I had some data that wasted a lot of space for alignment (or any other reason) I would consider a more efficient format.

Quote:
I use 68020 things all the time. 68000 is a PITA (in comparison).
There are specific cases where 020 code is a bit more efficient and saves some typing, but the vast majority of '68020 optimized' programs I have analyzed had very few 68020 instructions in them. I haven't felt the need to use it my own code. I might if I was coding something specifically for the A1200 and wanted the fastest speed possible - but then I have a 50MHz 030 so speed isn't usually an issue for me (a bigger problem is considering other users with slower machines).

Quote:
It's not worse than all these programs using the fpu and crashing 8000000F without a warning. Or these who work on 68000 and fail on anything else.
I am looking at them. Take AmigaBASIC for example. Whoever coded it should have been shot.

Quote:
I don't care about traditions.
So why are you programming in machine code on a platform that hasn't changed in 30 years?

Page generated in 0.09304 seconds with 11 queries