View Single Post
Old 22 August 2013, 03:35   #3
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
To my knowledge the Soundtracker source was never officially released back then, the updated versions were based on resourced versions of SoundTracker.
I expect that's absolutely right, but I definitely remember being in possession of a disk containing dilligently labelled and commented Seka source for something called "Shandy Tracker" (Soundtracker in all but name). This would have been late 1989 or thereabouts, giving ample time for all those who'd resourced the original/subsequent ST versions to finesse their efforts. That said, I've *never* seen any online reference to "Shandy Tracker" so perhaps I'd acquired the disk from someone who never finished/spread their update.

As for my reference to magazine reviews, I think that I was mis-remembering the likes of Commodore User and Amiga Format featuring later incarnations of ST/NT in their regular PD columns (long after the fact). UK public domain distributors (and mags) seemed to often be blissfully unaware that some of what they advertised/reviewed was - erm - "less than legit."

Was I right about Mark II/Darius Zendeh's Sound System being available before a useable ST hit the underground? I was a staunch user of Linel's Sound FX (which was marked "for internal use only") long before - and long after - I'd ever encountered Soundtracker, but I suspect that simply reflects my own personal circumstances.

Can anyone remember whether "scene" musicians were releasing ST MODs contemporaneously with Karsten's own efforts? There did seem to be a lag at the time before the likes of SLL and Andreas Starr came along.

Page generated in 0.06191 seconds with 11 queries