View Single Post
Old 15 October 2006, 18:25   #12
rsn8887

@Toni
Thanks for clearing this up once and for all! In fact, that's how I interpreted the uae percentage reading anyways. So if I only get 64% in fastest possible, I must have problems with sound. This also explains my other post about having scratchy sound sometimes Nevertheless, the sound seems fine now at a buffer of 4 or 5, but stilll no 100% in fastest possible. I will try again tonight, using a super huge sound buffer to see if it increases to 100%. From older uae versions, I always had 100% in fastest possible. But from remembering fiddling with the sound in 1.3.2, I suspect I will still get 64% percent even with large sound buffer and perfect sound. Any idea of another cause of this, especially comparing to 1.2? Or is just and only the sound buffer overflow that can cause this?

Something interesting happened yesterday:
I toyed with it some more, and I found out that the behaviour I was expecting (and might not have experienced due to problems with my sound buffers, I guess) from the fastest possible setting is in fact obtained using custom timing and sliding the slider all the way away from Custom chipset towards "CPU". If I do that in A1200 mode, wb games, especially LLamatron run super silky smooth even with tons of enemies on screen. However, in llamatron sprite flicker appears towards the bottom of the screen. I guess because the custom chips do not get enough host cpu time. I also tested with airtaxi (the game I uploaded couple of days ago). And airtaxi seems to run perfectly smooth without artifacts in this setting. The difference is like day and night. Especially with 3 players or 5 players on screen. The game crawls to a halt on my machine in "fastest possible" mode and 5 players on screen. But it runs silky smooth (much smoother than on real A1200) if I use the above setting!

It just amazes me again how much improvement or slow down one can get out of some games by just playing with all these settings.

Last edited by rsn8887; 15 October 2006 at 18:41.

Page generated in 0.05942 seconds with 11 queries