View Single Post
Old 06 September 2017, 18:11   #28
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
It's possible that I mis-remembered of course. But I seem to remember reading a changelog for FFS (would that be on one of the developer CDs?) mentioning removal of support for 256-byte blocks.

If it was ever supported, it was probably first possible with some post-1.3 FFS. Looking at the code here, v36.35 doesn't have the MOVEQ #9,D1 and LSR sequence, whereas
34.85 (WB 1.3) and 36.03 (WB 1.3.3) both do.

I'll try testing various FFS versions in WinUAE to see whether I'm wrong about that. Update: At least FFS 36.104 does support 256-byte filesystem block size! I'll upload WinUAE config and sample HDF in a separate thread.
I just found out the awful truth: the original FFS does not seem to care about the sector size at all. Sector sizes which are not a power of two are fine. So are sector sizes of odd numbers, for example. Just don't use a number smaller than 1, because then either a) memory allocations might fail or b) the log2(sector size) calculation might slip up. Sector sizes smaller than some 240 bytes will be problematic, because then the number of hash table entries in a directory will lead to instant corruption of said data structures.

Seems that the only guard against utter hilarity was in that storage device drivers would not necessary allow for sector sizes smaller than 512 bytes, or for that matter, sector sizes not divisible by 512 bytes. However, one probably shouldn't be so sure about that either, considering how rough-and-tumble many Amiga device drivers used to be

Needless to say, if you want to go ahead and experiment with the software, make sure you have adequate backups of your data at hand, make sure, too, that you can restore them if you need to, and please take pictures of the enfolding desaster and share them with the eager readers of this forum

Page generated in 0.04521 seconds with 11 queries