View Single Post
Old 22 October 2019, 08:53   #47
astremler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
The A4000 IDE is a rather harmless device, it doesn't do any DMA, just PIO, and there is nothing on the bus that would easily explain such an issue. For the 68040, the IDE registers look like any other chip registers, and the 68040.library should keep care about it not being cachable. However, is this a physical 3.1.4 ROM or the software/LoadModule solution? In the latter case, please ensure that the boot partition (the one the modules are on and LoadModule is on) must be below the 4GB barrier, or all hell may break loose. Also, if you run the MuTools based solution, an output of "MuScan" *after* SetPatch might be worth to look at. Probably post it here.
Thanks.. It is a physical 3.1.4 ROM. Not long ago I had some issues with my Amiga 4000 giving black screen when any hard disk was connected. No matter which hard disk I connected (I have several here with difference sizes). This was with the 68030 CPU inside. When removing the hard disk then I could boot into the Workbench by disk. But when connecting any hard disk it was just black screen at boot and bye bye.

First I thought the was a problem with the IDE port. I removed the IC's from the sockets of U-901 and R-902 (see attachments) and clean inside carefully. After cleaning and placing these IC's back in the sockets the whole problem disappeared like snow in front of the sun... I could boot again from hard disk and everything back to normal.. Until I replaced the 68030 with 68040..

I suspect here might be the problem somewhere although I am not sure what it can be. Some re-programming needed for these IC's because of 68040? I am not familiar with this. The best solution would be buying a FastATA card and completely by-passing the IDE on the mainboard by moving the IDE devices away, but still it's not 100% guaranteed.

I have attached a MuScan as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	64875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2132.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	64876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2133.jpeg