View Single Post
Old 06 October 2016, 23:48   #1
Sinphaltimus

Amiga 500 in ATX Tower case.

I regorganized my Facebook Photo Albums where many of the photos here were lined to.
So I bet many broke.
No worries, I put them all in one place right >>>HERE<<<
Questions abound.

By now, many people have done this mod already but I rarely see the techno jargon I'm looking for in one place and I have some questions. I mean, back in the 90s I did it myself but I was helped by a lot of Amiga centric hardware that was easily available at the time. Today, not so much and I've lost most if not all the Amiga knowledge I've had.

First - the reason. My A500 case is so brittle that it is beginning to crumble in my very hands every time I have to open it up. That's it, no other reason. I don't want to spend $65 on a replacement case for it as i have so many parts and cases laying around here, I can do it at no cost except time spent.

I basically have 2 concerns.

First, the keyboard wiring. I'm thinking of using a PC keyboard cable, snipping it at both ends and using that to extend my Amiga keyboard cable. Basically snipping the Amiga cable in half so I have the proper connection on both ends. I don't suppose the keyboard cable would be longer than 2/3rds of a meter (aprox 2 feet at most). I do not know f a PC cable has enough wires in it but that's not a big deal I can use any readily available cable as long as the gauge isn't way off.

Any Caveats to this approach that anyone can think of?

I would like get the Amiga LEDs off the KB and on to the tower as well. Is there a way to do that direct from the mainboard as opposed to running wires back from the KB in to the tower? I'm looking at the pinouts here >><< and see Status LED but not drive access LED for the floppy. Or do I have it backwards? Or .. well yeah, can I run the power LED and the floppy activity LED straight from the mainboard keyboard connection?

My second concern is the edge expansion port. It's a 50 position 100 pin edge card connector for this correct? (http://classiccomputers.info/down/Co...anual_1987.pdf) I've about salvaging an old ISA slot which sounds appealing because I have parts. And my GVP SCSI controller has pins from each edge connection that I can slide a connector on to. Basically looking to make an adaptor with the 100 pin edge connector to the Amiga side and all the pins wired directly to male header pins using a single connector on each wire. Has anyone done something like this before?

And tricks or tips? Approximately, how long can I make this connection without worry? No more than 2 feet long because that's how tall my tower is so could I place the controller in an empty 5 1/4"bay?

Thanks in advance. I'm about 2 weeks out from starting this project. I'm just now starting to plan it out. I will fully document it and share the details here as I progress. A diary of the project so to speak. With lots of photos as well. Something I think is lacking and I'd be more than happy to contribute.

PS, I haven't decided if I want to keep the Original PSU or not. I don't see a point in destroying a perfectly good A00 PSU so I'm probably going to be mounting 3 PSUs in my case. The Original Maiga, The GVP one. I haven't made up my mind yet about doing the GVP power from Amiga mod. I think I may opt to do it because I won't be powering a hard drive with it, just a SCSI2SD adaptor. In which case I could probably tap the A500 power directly to supply power via the micro USB. Oh options, options options. And then there's my internal SCSI CD-Rom tht needs power, THAT will run off an ATX PSU. So yeah, I'll have at least 2 if not 3 power on switches that need to follow a specific order. Any ideas or advise in this area?

~Sin

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 01 May 2018 at 14:08. Reason: Adde note about photos at the top of OP

Page generated in 0.04441 seconds with 11 queries