View Single Post
Old 30 May 2003, 18:20   #20
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Well, this is a bit OT, but here goes.

I think people still buy CD's, in fact sales figures are higher than anticipated (in the post-mp3 realm). DVD's are hot because of several things - one of which is the transition from godawful VHS quality. DVD's are more compact, more attractively packaged (and marketed), feature tons of bonus garbage that compels people to buy (even if most people aren't fans of trailers, unfunny bloopers, rightly deleted scenes, and over-zealous commentary tracks). During the laserdisc revolution, this treatment was reserved for films which really have something special going on, but I suspect even "Chainsaw Hooker Trash From Mars, Part III: The Manifest" (or whatever) will stroke itself with just any junk lying around the studio that might be considered "collectors rarities". See how many of these extras you can stomach consecutively. Even on my fav films, most of that stuff belongs in the trash bins. I am, however, a seriously hardcore trailer collector. Go figure...

I don't see the DVD revolution as having anything to do with any of this, though.
LOL!
C'mon Twist,you know you want that collector's box edition!!

Couldn't agree more with your endless FPS posting-as we've discussed personally before.
I think you touched on an even more brilliant point though twist,(as usual), the creative teams themselves.
"9-5 techno kiddies" being wined & dined by Nvidia/ATI to use their latest non-disclosure agreement whizz-bang card does not make for innovative PC gaming.

Now look at the diverse backgrounds back in the "cottage age" of the legendary creative teams/individuals from the 8-bit/16bit era of the C64/Amiga etc. Although they were successful, those teams/people made games they thought were fun/playable.
Nowdays, the bedroom coder inspired game seems a dead concept commercially-& those people that would having the creative ability to be involved in game development need's to have a programming, IT, or business degree to be involved in the "industry"

I wouldn't be certain if past legendary coders would've survived today's conformist requirements to get involved in the "industry".
I'm not saying they were inferior coders/artists,far from it-just that they mightn't have conformed/performed well in a games-designing degree at Uni/I.T. colleges.

Page generated in 0.04165 seconds with 11 queries