View Single Post
Old 18 February 2018, 01:03   #51
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
But this is not a computer and all you can do is play audio disc.
my point was, that they all faced the same costs for a large proportion of the product (even shipping and so on). The only real difference in production cost is the >100$ mainboard.

Quote:
IMHO C= was profitable on all Amiga products - real C= loss was PC clones - at some point C= was pushed out of PC market with stock full of produced PC.
This is serious loss - PC market collapsed due cheap clones and large companies such as C= was unable to compete.
true.
I still wonder: when would have been the best point in time, to sell the PC-department?
(they were quite successful in the late 80s especially in Germany where C= even outsold IBM in some years)

Quote:
CDTV and A570 was low volume product never intended to be large scale. I would be not so harsh on C=.
sure they where low volume - but not by intention AFAIK.
That is the first time i hear of such a thing. Can you back this up somehow?

Quote:
IMHO you seriously underestimating BOM cost for A500 - floppy drive cost more than 50$ during this time
the CDTV had no floppy. (at least not in 91. Later there was a bundle with floppy and keyboard)
so the cost of a floppy is irrelevant, or even proves my point:
the bare mainbord was cheap.

Quote:
, RAM was way more expensive
not any longer. we are talking 91 now. 1MB is down to >40$ (for end customers!).

Quote:
etc - you can't extrapolate present semiconductor situation to end of 80's.

I am very well aware of all the prices back than.
I have done quite some research on this matter. (besides my own memory)

Last edited by Gorf; 19 February 2018 at 19:06.

Page generated in 0.11829 seconds with 11 queries