View Single Post
Old 06 July 2017, 12:33   #56
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
1. Digital joystick - the same one as in Atari 2600 with SINGLE button! Like what the hell they were thinking? Designing the most sophisticated gaming machine, with the crappiest joystick possible as standard!?
You're totally wrong here. Even the Atari 2600 supported analogue controllers. The connector was chosen because it was a defacto standard, and a reasonably good one at the time as well. The Amiga supports digital with up to 3 buttons just fine, and analogue with up to 5 buttons. The issue was that developers didn't bother, or thought of the Amiga as a more powerful C64, artificially knobbling their games to suit that one-button system. Had the A500 shipped with a 2- or 3-button controller, things may have been different, but in no way was it the Amiga hardware's fault.

Quote:
Even the Apple II had better Joystick as standard 16-pin DIP socket for Analog Joystick with TWO buttons.
Ugh, and where would one buy such a custom bit of hardware? Why further knobble things with even more non-standard connections? Part of the Amiga's appeal was that it could use things like standard printers, modems etc. without expensive or hard-to-find custom hardware.

Quote:
I really can't explain how almost every Amiga game sucks from this limitation.
Agreed, but again, this has precisely zero to do with the Amiga hardware.

Quote:
The game programmers had to invent the up for jump, but what about the jumping on ladder or more than one weapon, or special moves.
Entirely their own doing.

Quote:
2. No MIDI port! The machine with the best sound capabilities, not suitable for musicians because they were not able to plug in their MIDI talking instruments directly and had to use 3rd party hardware, which may come with incompatibilities and troubles.
The Amiga's serial ports were perfectly capable of MIDI communication. Yes, fitting ports might have been nice and maybe would have seen it used in an ST-type role. But then again, adaptors were cheap and relatively commonplace; if you wanted to use MIDI, it wasn't a big deal. On the other hand, if you *only* wanted it for MIDI (let's face it, Paula audio is nice, but certainly not production quality), the ST was a far cheaper machine and just as capable.

Quote:
3. HAM mode was a hack, mostly useless for other than static pictures! Okay, you wanted graphics people to design the most awesome graphics and cartoons on the Amiga. Then why the HAM mode was neglected and left just like it was back from the days when Jay Miner experimented with it and was going to remove it, because he saw it was not very useful. Remember they left the HAM mode, because there was going to be a hole in the chip, not because they saw it as usable.
And what advantage would there have been from not having it? Being able to display images in close to true colour (very close on AGA machines) is better than only being able to display them in 32 colours.

Quote:
4. Non standard floppy disk format, very error prone! Yes, the Amiga written disks were giving much more errors that PC or Atari written disks. Simply because the Amiga wrote more bytes per sector, tracks and disks. I love the idea of getting more data on single disk, even the double sided feature was nice, but most of the manufactured floppies were tested as 720 KB PC disks.
I don't really buy this. The disks were manufactured as 1MB disks, and I never saw any difference in rates of failure between PC formatted and Amiga formatted disks. And I used them a lot to transfer between the two. (I did get lots of CRC errors but that was a CrossDOS thing...)

Quote:
On the Amiga, writing more data meant more probability of errors, since you were using the disk with a format not supported by the manufacturer. Back in 1990-ies when I was buying packs of disks usually sometimes I had whole boxes of 100s disks simply not working on the Amiga and giving errors.
Sounds like your drive was knackered. The disks aren't manufactured with the sectors in place. The medium is created and then formatted, but the medium itself doesn't contain anything that says "PC formatted", or where errors could hide in that sort of fashion.

Quote:
5. No hard disk controller on board. Back in 1985 there were already 10 MB hard disks for under $1000. Having the option to buy off the shelf hard drive and install it in your Amiga would have made the machine much more desirable for the business users. Because of the hard expansion options (especially for hard drive) the Amiga was often looked by the business oriented people as a toy for gaming, not for serious productivity work.
Hard drives were an expensive addition to most machines back then, and certainly not standard. Buying a drive for a PC meant having a PC with the appropriate expansion slots, adding a controller card, adding a drive, configuring it all, and then being careful not to sneeze near it in case you ruined the fragile setup. Pretty much the same situation as the Amiga 2000 then. There were side car options for the A1000 which were expensive of course, but that was the idea of that connector. There were still PCs sold in 1985 that only had a 5.25" floppy drive!

These things seem to annoy you, fair enough, but I think you don't really understand what exactly you're annoyed at.

Last edited by Daedalus; 06 July 2017 at 13:01.

Page generated in 0.04308 seconds with 11 queries