View Single Post
Old 30 January 2018, 00:06   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

For me the vote would be based on what systems gave me the most enjoyment, and not the relevance to the industry. That is a completely different top ten and not one that should be voted for by the average joe without plenty of background knowledge on the systems and the impact they made. However, that being said I think the Playstation is the greatest gaming machine for both lists. With the Amiga coming second on the gaming list, but like you not really charting on the impact of the industry, simply because it wasn't anywhere near successful in other territories (US/Japan etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Nah you misunderstand. I love the Amiga, truly. I just think there needs to be balance.

It just depends on how you would approach a list like this. I guess in my case it has to be more analytic and objective regarding their impact in videogame history. In that light, in my opinion, the Amiga was not that relevant, at least not enough to be in a top ten.

A lot of times, game development on the Amiga seemed to be trying to mimic console, arcade and other platform games, and not quite getting there.
Revolutionary games like Lemmings were few and far between. The Amiga had probably five or eight exclusive titles worth having a machine for. I think my favorite period of Amiga games was when the Amiga was *the* thing and impossible to compete with, also made possible super original games like Mindwalker.

Sure, as the Atari 2600, perhaps it played a role in widespreading video games at home in its time like you mention, but it didn't spearhead that, the 8-bit machines did (as well as creating bedroom coding!), and the Amiga got sandwiched, sadly, between that innovation of 8-bit home computers and the massive hit of consoles later on. The consoles just took over fast and hard and from 1989 on the Amiga was just playing catch-up.

Page generated in 0.04439 seconds with 11 queries