View Single Post
Old 19 April 2012, 21:09   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

On speed issues. You may remember I sent you a speed comparison on the game Vroom some time ago - so here's an update. All four setups shown in the following video use the exact same config; the only thing I changed was to turn cycle exact on and off. My config (as seen at the end of the video):

A3000 + 030 25mhz - 2meg slow + 8meg fast
No JIT
Compatible Settings
50HZ full screen mode, both H and V centering, triple buffering.

This is the video (pitty EAB doesn't allow embeded videos)
[ Show youtube player ]

As you can see, 2.0.1 was the fastest and smoothest - the fastest to operate WB and the fastest to load the game. Booted WB in 3 seconds.

2.3.1 was noticably slower in all departments.

2.4.1b7 - cycle on - This booted in 3 seconds and ran WB fine, but as you can see it ran the game at sub A500 speeds - like 4mhz equivalent or something. Really slow to do anything - even though the CPU was set to Custom=25Mhz. But it still booted WB in 3 seconds.

2.4.1b7 - cycle off - this brought the game back to full speed again, quite slow to boot WB - 6 seconds, and slower to load the game, but ran even more quickly than the old 2.0.1 version in this mode. (You can see the video overtakes the 2.0.1 footage right at the end, meaning it's even faster! - BUT this is most likely due to the CPU being set to 25.3MHZ rather than just 25.000 - so they are practically the same speed).

Note: unlike the previous versions shown in the top two panels, 2.4.1b7 booted WB with a thick black border to the right and below - and this was the same on the game screen too. The WB and game screens were definitely off center by at least an inch to the left - coincidientally the same offset as the black border - without the border it would have been centered I guess.

It would be great to know the standard speed of a game like this on a real A3000 25mhz Amiga so that we know what speed the emul should be aiming for. No version of the emulator is the 'best of all worlds' for speed except the much more streamlined 2.0.1. Sorry to say that's the version I'm still using even now.

Last edited by lifeschool; 19 April 2012 at 21:33.

Page generated in 0.14718 seconds with 11 queries