View Single Post
Old 19 October 2009, 21:20   #53
prowler
Global Moderator

When I said that the good copies of the missing files do not overwrite the original files, but instead end up in an unused area of the disk, I was really using the term "unused" for want of a better word.

There are, in fact, a large number of loose blocks on the disk (i.e. files without a file header) and I can't be certain that they're not used in some way by the demo program. For this reason, I would like to restore the missing files to their original location.

Those two files were salvaged from the original disk correctly by the DiskSalv utility, so they must be intact. I intend to use a disk sector editing tool to capture, or at least identify, the sectors containing the file headers for the missing files and paste the information into the disk image.

The two missing files span 49 x 512-byte sectors on the disk. I'm hoping that it will only be necessary to copy the two sectors containing the file headers in order to restore the files to where they belong.

Then, all that will be required is to clean up the gaps at the end of each of the three files, i.e. the two missing ones and the sound bounce file I restored to the image yesterday.

Page generated in 0.08097 seconds with 11 queries