View Single Post
Old 20 July 2012, 20:23   #1
DH
Global Moderator

HELP!!! Grapevine Diskmag Articles: Volunteers Wanted

Right, a quick explanation to what I'm doing. I am converting the Grapevine Diskmags to PDF (complete)

I can get hold of the the contents of #01 - #04 from bitfellas, but #05 - #07 will have to be hand written unless I can persuade Mr Oakvalley to rip the text using his Screenshot OCR proggy, or, if someone has the time and knowledge to disassemble issues #05 - #07 to retrieve the contents of the articles, either one would be greatly appreciated

So don't worry too much about those issues at this time

I would like a few volunteers to to help in the form of saving out the articles as .txt files using this filename 'Gv_09-Article###.txt' (the '###' represents the number allocated to the actual article (3 digit number) and '.txt' can be omitted when saving as it's automatically added) and that's about it
  • GV#08
  • * GV#09 (Being Processed)
  • GV#10
  • GV#11
  • GV#12
  • GV#13
  • GV#14
  • GV#15
  • GV#16
  • GV#17
  • GV#18
  • GV#19
  • GV#20
  • GV#21

* What's in bold green has already been ripped

Obviously, for best results you'll need to use WinUAE with the 'Most Common A500' setting, adding a non-bootable HDD to save the images into (tweaking:- 'Hardware/CPU & FPU/CPU Emulation Speed/' to fastest possible & the 'Floppy Drives/Floppy Drive Emulation Speed/' to Turbo) This speeds up the time taken to load, view and save each article, although I cannot guarantee it will work and behave correctly 100% of the time, so if you have problems return these settings to their defaults.

For those of you who are not familiar with the diskmag, nor the controls (because some are just pictures on different issues), I can give you some basic tips on how to use it and to minimise the time-scale it takes.

If anyone takes up the request, can you please post which one you have undertaken so as to stop others duplicating what's already being processed and stick to only that issue until it's complete.

I don't really know if this is a worthy project or not, I don't even know if this has ever been done/tried before, just seems a shame that this old diskmag has never been modernised for speedy viewing before now. Maybe I'm nuts, maybe the task at hand is too large, but all I can do is try.

EDIT: I can't do this on my own, it takes far too long from retrieving the articles to re-formatting and then converting them to pdf, so basically, if I don't get any help, the project is not going to go ahead, period.

Last edited by DH; 21 July 2012 at 13:32.

Page generated in 0.08212 seconds with 11 queries