View Single Post
Old 21 April 2012, 16:34   #58
rsn8887

I think I can make a proper statement about mouse pointer motion now:

For me, in A1200 fastest possible modes, mouse pointer motion is smooth in b6, and jerky in b7+ (b7-b9).

Using fastest possible A1200 low latency vsync mode. For log files and config, see my last post (making the hyperdrive tests led me to notice the effect).

I tried to record a avi video of it, but in the video mouse pointer always moves smooth and very fast?!?

The jerkyness goes away completely when switching from fastest possible to approximate A500/A1200 speed.

Did something that was introduced in b7 mess with sprite movement smoothness? I do notice similar jerkyness in the hyperdrive space ship motion. That jerkyness didn't show up in the videos I posted though (only the flickering shows up in the avi, not the jerky motion for some reason).

EDIT: In order to test I simply booted into a cli window. Turning sound on/off makes no difference. Direct 3D/Directdraw, no difference. CPU idle, no difference. Scanlines/Double, no difference. It maybe seems better with neither doubling nor scanlines, but the screen is very squished making it hard to tell. USB mode on/off, no difference.

Quick way to tell: In b7+, the mouse pointer also jumps up and down vigorously when dragging the workbench screen up and down. In b6 it moves smoothly. It doesn't quite stay on the screen title bar, buit doesn't jump. When I turn off low latency vsync, the motion in b7+ is much smoother, maybe even as smooth as in b6 with low latency vsync on.

EDIT 2: Line/Double etc. does NOT make a difference. However, I can make the mouse pointer in b6 similarly jerky when I set CPU speed to -10% or lower. It becomes very jerky then. Only CPU speed 0% works perfectly in b6 (the default). In b7 even cpu speed 0% is jittery. In both b6 and b7, setting CPU speed to anything else then 0% also messes with the fps counter more or less (jumps to 68 or so fps and constantly changes, even though it should be flat 50).

Last edited by rsn8887; 21 April 2012 at 17:03.

Page generated in 0.06743 seconds with 11 queries