View Single Post
Old 08 March 2014, 16:10   #60
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Okay - for simplicity sake, regarding the schematic (16 extra lines isn't enough of a saving, really) i'll discount the EC020. Will be looking instead at full 020 or 030, with a 68882. From this point on, those will be the only two options.

For the glue logic - PAL's will be replaced with a single CPLD, specifically this one: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/A...2fe555v6LKo%3d

As Pandy has already mentioned, takes up far less space on the board, and makes routing a lot easier.

Now it's just a case of - who wants QFP vs PGA? QFP takes up less space and generate less heat, but makes it a bit harder for someone to build one themselves, although not impossible - the PGA would make it more enthusiast friendly. As for the rest - would you want SMT components or regular? I'm a little on the fence myself, i see the benefits of SMT, but i'd rather have something thats more accessible.

Finally - i was considering adding in a 32 to 128kb cache for the '030 model as per the Macintosh IIci - although i don't know if the MMU in the 030 is enough, or i'd need a cache controller - maybe pie in the sky, but i like the idea.

Thoughts/opinons?
That Altera CPLD is pretty easy to solder, just need to soak it in flux to reduce possibility of bridges. I use solder soaked braid to actually solder them and it works very well. SMT where possible is the way to go on a 2 layer board, trying to keep the resistors and caps to a minimum 0805 size

Page generated in 0.04356 seconds with 11 queries