View Single Post
Old 25 November 2009, 16:44   #3
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
P
Is this enough confusion for now ?
Oh man, Thomas you are awesome as usual! That makes it all really clear - really appreciate your help.

I don't have the time I used to for working on the packs, so being able to rely on knowledgeable Amiga users when doing the updates saves loads of time.

Ok, partitioning. I'll take your advice and won't include the "HDInstall" replacement. I take it HDtoolbox can see up to 8GB yes? But it can be used for larger than 8GB drives, but doesn't calculate the correct values. Is that correct?

So do you think it's best just to stick to the standard HDtoolbox or do you know a better utility that handles greater than 8GB calculations?

Ok, on to the "scsi.device". doobrey's patch uses a OS3.9 file - since it isn't free AND not well tested, I guess I'm better sticking to the patched v43.24. I also noticed there is a patch on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/SCSI4345p

but again, this uses the OS3.9 scsi.device so I can't include it except for the ClassicWB OS39 pack, which could do the patching during the install.

In your opinion (or anyone else that may know/tested these), does the patched v43.24 work adequately and without problems? Or are their definite advantages to using the v43.45 or v44.2?

Finally, the command sets. So NSD, TD64 and direct-SCSI a.k.a. HD_SCSICMD are all ways for the device driver and filesystem to communicate and support larger hard drives.

As long as I have a scsi.device and file system that can communicate using one of those, the others are not required. Is that right?

Page generated in 0.04364 seconds with 11 queries