View Single Post
Old 20 June 2015, 21:56   #6
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCoder View Post
Hi SpeedGeek, it's awesome to have a new and up-to date program to play with Ramsey. I am not an expert at all. However, as fortunate coincidence, in these days I am playing with the skip mode (4/5 cycles) in my 4000D.

Currently I am able to use it with 3 populated slot. Unfortunately I don't have a a fourth 60ns SIMM.

I use SpeedRamsey and Memutil to see if the RAM access is reliable.
I would love to see this setting supported also by your program, and it would be nice to integrate in your program a ram test tool.
Maybe you could implement in your program a "reliable mode" and a "dangerous " one which enable the setting.
Whatever you decide to do, well done and I will test your program ASAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boing4000 View Post
If the Ramsey skip mode conflict with other feature, do not implement it.
For some boards it works fine (my own 4000D with 4x 60nS Simm) but others freez instandly or become instable after some warming time.

There are mentioned tools to set this bit (also GUI based one such as SetCPU). Better let user try this if really wanted. Its only one more line in the startup-sequence
I'll wait to see if more comments are made on this topic, but it looks like a separate "Dangerous" version of the program is the only solution which could satisfy everyone.

I don't think adding a RAM test is really practical for this type of program. The only really useful RAM test is to determine if Page or Static column RAM is installed (and that's exactly what the Bonus code in your Kickstart ROMs is supposed to do).

The best time to do this test is in early startup before any Fast RAM is added to the system or in use by other programs. The are 4 possible banks of Fast RAM and they should all be tested before either Page or Burst mode is enabled. That's problematic at best in a post boot scenario (expecting some RAM to be available in all 4 banks and then to disable all interrupts and other tasks while the test is being performed). Another problem is Ramsey version $D doesn't support Page mode so the test can't be done anyway.

As far as testing if the skip mode is working reliably, there are quite a number of programs available to do a standard RAM test already.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 21 June 2015 at 14:33.

Page generated in 0.07595 seconds with 11 queries