View Single Post
Old 22 June 2005, 19:54   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
Well if you think this is complex... oh dear
*bzzzt* Wrong! I said this is complicated, which is not the same!
If I think it is complicated, it means that it's me who is probably thinking too complicated and that any other people might find a simpler way!
Though it looks it's a working and not-considered-too-complicated way.
So I will keep this.

Quote:
Anyway if you are so much concerned
You ALWAYS should. This is good programming; as it doesn't get you into this "bahh, we have 3 ghz machines - who cares!" thinking.
I still use *unsigned short* whenever possible, although by average, no machine might care about this nowadays. But -- sorry I'm getting a bit OT -- this is what makes WinFellow run on low-end machines: only using CPU and memory hogs if really necessary; all other techniques follow the "use the LEAST you require" rule. And I think this is good practice, and I'm very happy to see this in all those GPL applications coded for Linux. Rant over.

Quote:
you shouldn't have used MOD which is the remainder of a division and such is performed by using a division. For two numbers there you can use an AND operation instead.
AND? Well you should know about that! Thanks!
When thinking a formula in my head, I usually use MOD because that way, it is easier to predict results. For AND, I will usually have to write the value down in binary (yes, even on paper ) as well as AND it by hand, so I can assure the result is the one I wanted.
OR is usually predictable; but AND does a lot of modifications...
But well, if AND really works exactly as MOD with two binary numbers, this is even better

Last edited by andreas; 22 June 2005 at 20:19.

Page generated in 0.07493 seconds with 11 queries