View Single Post
Old 12 March 2009, 14:20   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
IPFs are truly preserved.
Maybe, but access to the data within them is not.

Quote:
Now for the lib. It's available for all major platforms.
That's a matter of opinion. UAE on the X-Box, PSP, GP2X etc. are all missing IPF support. If all the SPS guys disappeared over night (unlikely buy hey) then the data is not truly preserved is it?

Quote:
I see that some people are scared because it is not open source
Only scared that it is called 'preservation'.

Quote:
I don't see anything stopping anyone from doing the same and archiving the games in another format he likes (if he does not like IPF that is). That would of course mean writing and designing your own format.
A classic response from someone who knows they've already lost the argument

Quote:
Being open source does not mean everything is better.
You are absolutely correct. But it is essential for any true 'preservation' that everything be transparent, open so that there is enough information from the word go so that the data can be recovered by almost anyone, at any time.

Quote:
Do you really want to give preservation into the hand of novices, that can code but have no understanding of protections or similar?
Nope.

Quote:
Do you want them to mess with the codebase, just because it is open source?
Thats upto them, you don't have to accept their modifications into the mainline of the codebase.

Quote:
Do you want them to reverse the library to also write IPFs? To see dozens of IPFs of the very same title, called "alt1", "alt2", "+8", "fixed"...
If by "write" you mean convert from the dump file to an IPF then not particularly.

Quote:
In fact, UAE is open source. I have not seen many useful distributions with any functionality I am currently missing.
But it has been ported to many platforms the original author never envisaged. The fact it was open source allowed people to add support for the Wiimote control, access files over WiFi, use the GPU of the X-Box as a P96 framebuffer!

Quote:
I am very sure that if Toni should ever abandon the project, there will not be many people available to fill the gap.
Tell that to my former colleage at Mitel, Brian King.

Quote:
But we can make sure, the format itself is consistent, and the data is consistent as well.
I know. I like and respect the work the SPS do. They are all clever people.

Quote:
I just do not get the point why this would be a showstopper for preservation.
Because currently no-one can add IPF support to any platform not deemed suitable by SPS. That is not true preservation.

Quote:
We're currently looking into adding a signed digest added to the IPFs so users can be sure they are getting the real deal and not anything forged or changed. Please note that this is not DRM, so please have a read on what signed digests / hashes are used for.
Sounds good. Much better than keeping the plugin closed source IMO.

Page generated in 0.05317 seconds with 12 queries