View Single Post
Old 06 May 2020, 12:48   #14
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
So it would be more like pointing to a block of chunky pixels in ChipRAM and let Denise fetch it and (maybe) transform it to planar internally ...

this is very close to a "pure" chunky mode ... with the advantage, that sprites and copper-effects would still work.

I think it would have to be arranged so that the virtual Denise fetches as though from four high-res bitplanes, then reads a complete chunky pixel (or maybe pair of pixels) from each in turn?

Quote:
The "Piccolo" method is the other way around: we have chunky pixels in ram, but they are treated as planar by Denise and the "mess" that this output generates is cleaned up afterwards ...
Indeed - that's the "Graffiti", I think? Available both as a standalone external A520-like box, and as part of the Indivision ECS scandoubler. (Piccolo was an actual RTG graphics card.)

Quote:
The first method (internal Akiko) makes more sense i think ... but on the other hand: there is already existing software for the Piccolo-mode...
I agree. On the other hand, most of the software that supports Graffiti has modular video drivers, so writing new ones shouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility.

Page generated in 0.04364 seconds with 11 queries