View Single Post
Old 26 September 2018, 00:19   #251
project23
Used Register

TLDR: I would like to buy a blank furia PCB to transplant my working components from a broken board. Please read though: I've gone through a lot with this board, and finally had it working perfectly, and just want the opportunity to use it again. Thanks.

For reference the original thread is here, though some of the original assumptions are inaccurate.

So... The Original Problem!..

As you can read in the original thread the problem I had was that the system with the furia installed would crash at random intervals - sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds. Once or twice as much as 20 minutes or so. Long story short i went through every bit of troubleshooting and finally using MBR2 reasoned that the RAM was likely at fault.

I got consistent failures corresponding to lines 8, 9, 10, 11, 20, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30, 31. I go into more detail on this in the other thready. Anyway...

The solution!..

So it turns out that those lines correspond to U7, U9, and U13. I ordered some NOS chips of the same designation and replaced the above chips one by one. As i did so, the errors associated with those lines disappeared from MBR2. Finally, after replacing U9 (I also replaced U11 because i was unsure in which order the MBR2 lines corresponded to the physical lines) - it worked perfectly. I mean it was absolutely rock solid. Night and day. It was beautiful. Here is a screenshot of it having run MBR2 for i think 8 hours? I left it over night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mbr-furia.png
Views:	323
Size:	859.1 KB
ID:	59990

The new problem!..

So the next day, after double checking by running (successfully) the Frontier intro for three and a half hours, I decided to clean things up, remove any excess flux etc etc. I had already replaced the 68ec020 with a genuine MC from 2000 to rule out the CPU. I noticed the pins were not perfectly aligned (though certainly usable) and the perfectionist in me decided to heat up the chip and gently nudge them to dead centre. This was my mistake. I slipped, and the air gun i was using hit the upper right pins. The solder wasn't molten yet, so the force of the slip literally ripped the pads from the first three pins. Disaster. Utter disaster. After weeks of troubleshooting and *finally* getting this thing rock solid stable, a stupid mistake that didn't even need to happen practically ruined the board!

I attempted some trace repair, but at the pin pitch of the flat pack 020 it just isn't doable. I decided to give up.

The plea...

I know my warranty is void. I knew it was when I made the repairs, but this Furia did come with some defective RAM chips, and replacing them *did* fix this great accelerator board.

If I could purchase from you a *blank* furia PCB, so that i can transplant my working parts, I would be *eternally* grateful. I can pay however you like, and of course cover shipping.

Obviously the CPLD is already programmed so I wouldn't need the jed's or anything.

I am competent enough to do the transfer of components. I have already built a TF530 and am working on a second. I would be asking for no help and of course would expect no warranty.

Thanks for reading my rambling post, and for designing a great accelerator for the A600!

John

Page generated in 0.12261 seconds with 12 queries