View Single Post
Old 20 May 2020, 13:47   #19
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMelbourne View Post
The trouble with the cold fire is they dropped enough instructions that it's not 68K compatible anymore.

It's a pretty good CPU, but now also languishing.
I've got a friend who does racecard computers with them, and there are a lot of annoying bugs making some things not work.

I think you missunderstand my usage case for the CPU,
The Amiga should not see it as a CPU, its the translation layer between Amiga and the new peripherals and RAM
They `share` Zorro3 bus, one or the other has Master as required, the Coldfire should be fast enough that the Amiga does not wait for for it.
It would not matter that has missing instructions as it is NOT running the Amiga OS, It will run its own limited `OS` to watch and respond to which ever BUS wants to move data.
With CPU on both sides of the Zorro we should be able to fine tune the Coldfire OS push Zorro3 bus to its limit.

The price range is from £30 to £60 per chip, DDR Ram is peanuts from ebay making the Idea pretty wallet friendly
Coldfire with Ram slots on each PCI slot?
The `Interface` Coldfire could identify a CPU on each PCI slot and `upload` a small OS to each to again watch the BUS and work on data modules sent to spare/idle slots.

Mmmmmm..
Anyway, we have missed the Boat as Mouser et all recomend these not be used for new products as they are nearing EOL

Page generated in 0.04367 seconds with 11 queries