View Single Post
Old 10 January 2005, 20:45   #2
lloyd
Mehh :D

Hi Galaxy - try looking at the bottom of the PCB (of the Mig, of course), sounds like a classic "dry joint" to me. A dry joint is where the solder didn't make a reliable connection to the items being soldered. Classic causes are: Too cold a soldering iron, dirty components to solder, poor quality flux, items moved whilst solder cooling.

Easy to cure a dry joint, just re-apply a soldering iron to the joint and make sure the solder flows properly - if not, re-solder. So, in your case - assuming we're talking of a 23 way D socket soldered to the Amiga PCB (as opposed to a graphics card). Simply dis-assemble the Miggy, lay the mobo out on your work bench (the wooden variety :>) and apply your soldering iron to each joint made by socket/PCB, making certain you don't bridge any pins.

The HD on my 1200 never spins up right away - have to always reset the mig to make it boot from the HD on first power up.

Electrolytic capacitors age (obviously with time), so it could be that since your Amiga hasn't been powered for a while, some of the electrolytic capacitors had to be "re-formed" - a process by where the insulating layer between the plates has broken down due to time, and gets remade by the reaction of electricity, electrlyte and the aluminium foil used to make them. For a very short period of time therefore, your old capacitors could be acting as a short circuit and causing all kinds of problems. To avoid this, simply power up your Amiga once in a while - even if only for a few minutes. This will ensure the capacitors get a regular "reforming charge" - they will live longer as a result.

One thing for sure, if it was a ZX Spectrum we were talking about, I could (and would offer) to fix it for you.

Page generated in 0.04296 seconds with 11 queries