View Single Post
Old 21 August 2003, 21:20   #48
Frootloop

Do any of you remember CLEAR - the Campaign to Leave Emulation Alone (plus an "R")? Granted, it hasn't been updated since 1999 (so now it's the Campaign to See How Long We Can Go Without an Update) and the project doesn't seem to have gone anywhere, but I liked the idea and their web site presented their goals in a decent professional (at the time) manner. They are using a personal web site, which is a no-no for a serious project like this - it needs a *.com or *.org domain to put forward a "we mean business" image. No, I'm not a web designer, but I know that a good designed web site is important.

CLEAR Web Site

And for a little bit of encouragement, the World of Spectrum, a ZX Spectrum computer games archive, has received permission from lots of copyright holders to legally spread their games and it has become the definitive and respected site for Spectrum software preservation.

One of my concerns with linking the project to EAB is that this forum is much more of an underground community than the mainstream Amiga sites like amiga.org, ann and amigaworld.net. (People have called EAB "that pirate board.") Most of us don't mind talking about projects like TOSEC, and games are passed around openly, but if you even mention these things on those sites you'll quickly get flamed by some very hostile people. Might it be an impediment to the goals of the copyright project?

On the positive side, there are a few ex-Amiga developers on this board who might help offer some legitimacy to the project. Perhaps they'd be a positive asset to your board of directors?

Just my two 880K floppies worth...

Page generated in 0.05345 seconds with 11 queries