View Single Post
Old 23 January 2015, 12:43   #649
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
It became very popular indeed but if you contrast it to say, right about any Amiga platform game, Mario really sucks. Compare Mario to a game like Gods or Twin World and see the difference.
IMHO, they're completely different subgenres. Mario is a pure platform game, while Gods also adds combat.

Also, Mario is a lot smoother than Gods. But they're different subgenres, so it's okay

Quote:
Then you have stuff like Golden Axe (on the arcade), or Ninja Turtles (on the SNES) - I've played those quite a bit. They are available on the Amiga as well - at least Golden Axe is; but they were like very frustrating. Golden Axe is just outright annoying, it goes out of its way to annoy you at every step.
Golden Axe is an amazing game, even if I can't get myself to play the Amiga version anymore after playing the Arcade so much

Quote:
I wonder how many people actually "finished" a game like Golden Axe, Ninja Turtles, Mario or Donkey Kong - I mean like really finish, from start to end credits. I am not sure I could do it even today.
Me, quite a few times as well!

I love both Golden Axe and Ninja Turtles, which I've completed numerous times. They'll just take away 1-2 hours of your time, while also being terribly enjoyable. I've finished SMB1 so many times now I've lost count. There was a time I could easily finish it in around 20-30 minutes each time, emulated on my DS (gotta admit, sometimes I cheated with "rewind" ).

Quote:
Platform games never really had a "save" function, so you ended up having to restart if you had to leave which just made it even more frustrating and very annoying.
All the Marios from SMB3 onwards have it. I can't stand super-long platforms without any saves, and on the Amiga there are quite a few (I remember leaving my Amiga turned on overnight!).

Quote:
I would actually say that Amiga-only platform games were superior and lots of fun. Stuff like Giana Sisters - which just looks like Mario but it is just better in very many ways.
I'm not sure how anyone can say that - Giana is a bad ripoff of Mario and I thought that even when I was 4 in 1992. The original is just SO much better.

Quote:
Then my all time favourite which is Twin World which is just amazing from all perspectives. There is simply no match possible between Twin World and say, Mario... Compare the graphics or the sound for instance... Not to mention how interesting Twin World is by comparison..
Never heard of it - I'll have to download it one of these days

Page generated in 0.05545 seconds with 9 queries